Monday, June 27, 2011

Women shouldn't vote, blacks should go home, and the gays shouldn't marry...


dis·crim·i·na·tion
–noun
1.
an act or instance of discriminating.
2.
treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination.
It's a pretty dirty word, but unfortunately it still, even in 2011 manages to ring strong in many parts of our society. Discrimination is the lowest form of hatred. History is littered with examples of how collectively as a society we have stood against the ridiculousness of bigotry and discrimination.

In a county as wonderful as ours, in 2011, we still don't have equal rights for the Gay community. Interestingly our own Prime Minister who has stated her "traditional" stance against Gay marriage is, herself, living in a defacto relationship and "living in sin."

We have to tolerate so much bull shit with our politicians surely we shouldn't have to put up with hypocrisy. Anyway I am going to continue to stand up for this issue because more heterosexual Aussies need too.

I am proud to say that my brother is Gay, and as a spectator to his "coming out" and the associated turmoil, I have never seen a more truly courageous personal act to stand against society and to be yourself. I'll never understand the inner juxtaposition, but I will let his and I'm sure many other stories, inspire me to do what's right and always stand up against injustice, whatever that injustice is.

I unwillingly posted an innocent facebook status earlier in the week that caused quite a bit of debate around marriage equality in Australia and I would like to share my brothers response - please read.


Well, I think it's about time I weighed in here. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Andrew Natale's brother and I am indeed a full living breathing GAY. Yes that's right - a real one! I'd like to give my perspective on this very fascinating thread which actually, all jokes aside, is indicative of the public debate on this issue within this country.
1. The issue of same sex marriage is about EQUALITY. End of story. I am a human being who has just as much right to enter into the legal institution of marriage than a heterosexual. And to not allow me to do so is discrimination.
2. Gays as Parents - Guess what? There are already gay couples who are parents. They have become parents in a variety of ways and should not be judged based on their sexuality or gender or even that they are of the same gender, but instead based on the quality of them as a parent. Children need a loving upbringing and their parents sexuality is irrelevant for that. I am an uncle who prides myself in the relationships I have with the children in my life. I nurture them. I protect them. And most of all, I love them. And I am gay. I hope I get the opportunity to do that for my own children one day.
3. Legalising same sex marriage will have an enormous impact within our culture. One of the biggest groups of our community with high suicide rates are adolescent boys and there are many studies that indicate that this is due to confusion around sexuality. To legalise same sex marriage says that it's OK to be gay. That you as a beautiful human being are just as valued and accepted as anyone else. And if this gesture in some way manages to save a life - isn't it worth it?
4. I don't accept the religious rhetoric that marriage is exclusively the domain of religion. The reality is it is a legal institution. I don't discriminate against you (and it would be illegal if I did), so don't you do it to me.
5. Same sex marriage is already legalised in many parts of the world. Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Canada, South Africa, Norway, Sweden, Portugal, Argentina, Iceland... And guess what? The sky has not fallen. It hasn't ripped apart the fabric of their society and it hasn't taken anything away from the institution of marriage. All that it's done is treated all of their citizens as equals.
6. For change to truly happen, we need heterosexual people standing up and saying loudly - No it's not OK to treat people differently just because they're the minority. We need everyone to stand up!

And finally, I have to say that I am proud to have a brother that not only believes that this is an imperative but will also stand up and say so. And not just because he has a gay brother but because it's the right thing to do!

So here I am - the real live gay, brother of the provoker of this conversation, saying enough is enough. The time for equal rights is NOW.


I never intended to emote onto this blog, or use it as an emotional clothes line, but this is issue is worth it.

Enjoy,

A.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work Natale. Thanks for making me think more about this issue - because I know well enough that to do and say nothing is to be part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries thanks Anonymous...who is this, by the way?

    ReplyDelete