Friday, November 4, 2011

This is what I believe...



I believe in a god with no capital letter
I believe Love should have a capital letter
I believe that church should cater for poor people
I believe that those who work for churches should have less money and assets than those whom they serve
I believe that Jesus was a revolutionary, feminist and a peace activist
I don’t believe Jesus was a musician or a business man
I don’t believe churches should profit from faith
I believe in criticising a religious system that reflects the disparity of wealth prevalent in the world today.
I believe faith should be debated
I believe that if you have a faith, and want others to believe that faith, then the example of your life should be enough and no microphone should be needed
I believe in a “god” that created this amazing planet
I believe in urban graffiti art
I believe in the pentatonic scale
I believe in being a good person and enjoying every living moment, now, rather than being concerned about some ethereal after life
I believe in Buffy
I believe that a book and a Rock’n’Roll song can change the world
I believe there should be more romance in the world
I believe that Love shouldn’t be clarified by a written document
I believe that homosexuality is NOT a sin
I believe in sentences that sing off the page and into my heart

I believe what I believe so if it’s different to what you believe – stress less, I’m sure we’re both right.

The end

4 comments:

  1. While I appreciate many of your insights, I want to take you to task on your belief that those who serve in the church should be poorer than those they serve. The scriptures have no problem with wealth. It is the attitude towards riches that they take issue with. The OT prophets judge the wealthy, not for being wealthy but for explotting and/or neglecting the poor. James had an issue with favoritism towards the rich at the expense of the poor. Jesus loved the rich young ruler and expressed sorrow at his refusal to surrender the place his wealth occupied in his heart. As you can see the scriptures all point towards ones attitude to wealth. What you suggest would imply that rich people are precluded from serving and also that churches shouldn't pay a fair wage to their staff. I'd love to talk further over a brew or three.

    Steve Battye

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I believe that those who work for churches should have less money and assets than those whom they serve" refers more to my thoughts that there should be more poor people in the church. The predominant western model for church advocates (either directly or indirectly) that success lies in the development of wealth and/or possessions. The western church has developed (again directly or indirectly) a model of person or type of Christian that is accepted or at the very least, put up as a model, that contains wealth as a means of success and accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me preface my reply by saying that I detest the so-called prosperity gospel. It is unbiblical and completely ignores the fact that Christians will suffer in this life.

    ""I believe that those who work for churches should have less money and assets than those whom they serve" refers more to my thoughts that there should be more poor people in the church." That's not what your sentence says though. You said that people who work for churches should have less money and assets than those whom they serve. Now if you want more poor people in churches, this means that people who work in churches must also be poor. I don't agree. This seems to be some sort of 'martyr complex', where only those Christians who are 'suffering for Jesus' are the better disciples. My study of martyrdom and suffering has lead me to the conclusion that we shouldn't seek suffering, but when suffering inevitably finds us, then we shouldn't do whatever we can to avoid it, but seek the strength and grace of God to endure and grow though it.

    As for being poor, there is nothing inherently noble about being poor, just as there isn't in being rich. I don't think either station is a hallmark of Christian maturity. The scriptures point to contentment with plenty or little as the ideal state. I think your statement unnecessarily alienates rich people who work in churches and generously share their wealth. It's all about our attitude to money. If we allow money to rule over us then this is a problem. I might add that this isn't a problem confined to the rich. I know plenty of money-obsessed poor people. I think that with the right attitude rich people can serve in the church and be a tremendous blessing to the poor. As I said earlier, it was the fact that the rich neglected and/or exploited the poor that the OT prophets condemned. This is a very apt message for our times.

    I think you are also generalising regarding the malaise of the Western church. The tradition that we both come from has tended to reflect the materialistic culture we live in, though this is changing in some circles. I think the problem is that we are influenced more by the prevailing culture than we care to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. - where can I get your book?

    ReplyDelete