Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Tiger Woods, sand traps, Dr Seuss and cultural cloning: Thoughts on the cultural conditioning of developing your weaknesses.

I want to be Tiger Woods…except for the whole addicted to sex, swinging dick thing. Yesterday I participated in an intensive workshop on becoming a “high achieving team” as part of a professional development course I’m a part of at work. The facilitator used a Tiger Woods analogy that got me thinking. Apparently Tiger Woods very rarely practices his sand game. Not that I know much about golf, but apparently your ‘sand game’ is when you’re in the bunker and how well you recover.

According to this story Tiger Woods spends most of his time concentrating on the strength of his game – his long fairway game. This apparently makes Tiger Woods one of the only golfers who very rarely end up in the bunker. Now I don’t know if this is true or not, but I like the thinking that by focussing on what you are good at, nullifies our weaknesses.

I thought a lot about this as I was driving home. The strengths that I have are unique to me because of my experiences, personality and skills. I can’t hit a golf ball like Tiger Woods, but I got game in other areas of life. This also reminds me of one of my favourite Dr Suess quotes.

“Today you are you, that is truer that true. There is no one alive who is youer than you.”

In developing our weaknesses are we stifling the world of our developing out unique gifts and strenghts that only we can do? Often I feel like our culture is set out to make us all carbon copies of each other, pathetic clones of an unknown, nameless original. We are conditioned to not stand out from the crowd. We are told that the crowd is safe and warm and that’s where we should stay.

I’m encouraged by the thoughts of developing the things you are already good at….and being better. What about the things that you aren’t great at….? Ignore it..? Not quite, but I think understanding that someone else has it covered, works for me.

I can’t help but again think of Lady GaGa. So anyway, if you find yourself retreating into the crowd, whisper a ‘fuck that’ under your breath and break out into your unique strength.

A.


1 comment:

  1. Well written my friend. I one heard the observation of the competition in Hollywood to be the good looking leading man, and how hard it is to land a role. On the other hand, there's only one Danny Devito, who fails in all measures as a suitable Hollywood leading man. Yet for every role he gets, there's very few other people that could play those roles!

    ReplyDelete